The Research Study’s Proposed Tasks & Timings, At-a-glance
- Set up working party (WP) of 5 – 10 Early Years specialists from across Edinburgh (Krueger & Casey, 2014).✅
- Share with WP: aims of research, timeline, project plan, roles & responsibilities etc.✅
- Share with WP initial survey drafts (for staff & families) which have been created in advance, based upon extensive research (in terms of design, methodology, content etc.).✅
- WP feedback used to create final surveys.✅
- Survey disseminated to schools/ Early Years settings of WP members.✅
- Survey disseminated to staff.✅
- Survey completed with children in WP settings.✅
- Survey results collated & reviewed with WP.✅
- Sharing the Ambition (STA) draft 1 is created, in response to survey results, constituting a list of ideas on how to use play to improve parental engagement and involvement. STA draft 1 will be framed around Realising the Ambition’s (2020) ‘spaces, experiences & interactions’.✅
- STA strategies delegated to WP members to trial in their settings.✅
- WP opened up to include more Early Years staff from outwith Edinburgh. ✅
- WP trial STA draft 1. This includes WP members undertaking their own professional enquiry project, each focusing on a different strategy to boost parental engagement & involvement. From the survey results the overarching theme is communication & family learning. ✅
- Proforma for recording & documenting professional enquiry projects decided upon as a WP. ✅
- Focus groups held with staff & families to dig deeper into the successes and barriers of current parental engagement & involvement strategies. ✅
- Family Newsletter 1 is disseminated sharing survey results & inviting families to contribute to the format, content & design of our upcoming Family Zone on the STA website. ✅
December 2020 – February 2021
- Moderation of open-ended results analysis with WP members to create final Sharing the Ambition codebook.
- Focus group results used to inform the professional enquiry projects.
- WP meet to feedback on trial and adapt STA accordingly – each project will form a chapter of the STA document.
- WP to create a STA Family Zone on the website to communicate the why, the what and the how of play.
- WP members continue to update their personal blog on the STA website with the progress of their professional enquiry play project.
March – May 2021
- WP trial STA draft 2.
June & July 2021
- WP write up final STA draft for publication.
- CPD opportunities offered to introduce STA to Edinburgh practitioners out with the WP.
- Final STA piloted in additional schools across Edinburgh.
- Final BERA report submitted.
- STA pilot continues across Edinburgh.
- Training and mentoring offered for pilot schools.
- Feedback collected and any necessary changes made to STA.
- STA rolled out to other local authorities within Scotland.
- Long-term implications of STA monitored.